Paralyzed Afghan child injured in chaotic withdrawal trapped in red tape
Paralyzed Afghan child injured in chaotic withdrawal is trapped by bureaucracy despite officials pledging to help
- Paralyzed child endured another week of agony despite assurances of help
- Two-year-old Navid was injured in a chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan in August
- The government had previously said it would urgently review the case
- But it took five days for a foreign ministry official to contact Navid’s family.
A crippled Afghan toddler endured another week of agony despite repeated assurances from UK officials they would help him.
Two-year-old Navid was injured in August during the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan when a suicide bomber killed 183 people at Kabul airport.
After his case was raised by The Mail on Sunday last week, the government said it would urgently look into the case.
But it took a foreign ministry official five days to contact his family, only to ask for information that had been provided to him months ago.
Two-year-old Navid (pictured) was injured in August during the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan when a suicide bomber killed 183 people at Kabul airport.
Specialists from Great Ormond Street Hospital in London have agreed to help Navid, and Foreign Office officials have said they will try to evacuate him.
But nearly four months after the attack, Navid and his family remain threatened by the Taliban in Kabul.
Dr Zuzanna Olszewska of the University of Oxford, who assisted the family, said: “The frigid pace of this process is disappointing.”
A government spokesperson said: “We are urgently looking into this matter and will contact the family.”
Specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital (pictured) in London have agreed to help Navid, and Foreign Office officials have assured them they will attempt to evacuate him.