Best Wayfair Kitchen Island | FOX40
Which Wayfair kitchen island is the best?
Kitchen islands are an easy way to add counter space to your kitchen without the cost and hassle of a full remodel job. A kitchen island is a freestanding counter area that can have wheels or sit directly on the kitchen floor. Rolling kitchen islands are sometimes referred to as kitchen carts, but the two terms are usually used interchangeably.
Kitchen islands not only increase your counter space, but also your storage space, with drawers, cabinets and cubbies. If you want a solid wood kitchen island with a granite top, take a look at the Littrell 48 inch solid wood kitchen island.
What to know before buying a Wayfair kitchen island
Most kitchen islands are rectangular, and Wayfair classifies them by the length of the longest side, usually referred to as the width. Wayfair organizes its kitchen islands into three categories: small (less than 40 inches), medium (40-55 inches), and large (56 inches and above).
The counter is the active area where you do prep work or keep your small appliances.
- Wood: The quality of wood used in kitchen island countertops is one of the things that determines the price. Look for durable, better-looking, and higher-quality woods like maple, oak, cherry, and walnut. Wood tops look great in traditional and farmhouse kitchens.
- Metal: It is the preferred countertop material in commercial kitchens because it stands up to heavy use and is the easiest of all materials to clean. Look for metal countertops made from sturdy, thick stainless steel. Metal countertops are a favorite of people with professional-grade appliances and those who prefer an industrial look.
- Granite: Granite is a favorite for countertops because it is a durable, low-maintenance material that looks great in a modern kitchen.
The base supports the counter and provides some type of storage space.
- Wood: Wooden bases are often paired with wooden tops. A wooden base is usually designed to also be a cabinet. Look for drawers and doors that fit well and operate smoothly.
- Metal: Metal bases are minimalist and unlikely to have drawers and doors. They will almost always have a shelf or two under the counter. Metal bases have the look of a modern commercial kitchen.
- MDF: This is the term used by the industry to refer to medium density fiberboard. Those who choose MDF because it is cheaper should know that MDF is lighter than natural wood and provides a much weaker base.
What to Look for in a Quality Wayfair Kitchen Island
If you’re someone who wants to make the most of the floor space taken up by your kitchen island, you’ll want as much storage space as possible. Remember, the more you plan to store in and on your kitchen island, the sturdier it needs to be.
- towel rack hold multiple kitchen towels at once. When used with S-hooks, they double as holders for your favorite utensils.
- Wine bottle holder hold your bottles in the preferred horizontal position.
- falling leaves expand your worktop when you need it and fold it down when it’s not.
- Knife drawers are designed to protect your sharp knives while keeping them close at hand.
Check that the wheels for the kitchen island you’re considering are made of materials that won’t harm your kitchen floor. Lockable wheels make your kitchen island safer and sturdier. Wider wheels make rolling easier.
How much you can expect to spend on a Wayfair kitchen island
Wayfair kitchen islands that sell for less than $150 are more like carts and have limited storage space. Wayfair’s $150-$350 kitchen islands are made of better materials with good storage and nice features. Above $350, Wayfair offers high-end kitchen islands made from the best materials with the best craftsmanship.
Wayfair Kitchen Island FAQ
What is Wayfair?
A. Wayfair is a company that sells 14 million items from over 10,000 manufacturers. Wayfair is best known for its furniture, homewares, and décor items. They have over 1,000 kitchen islands to choose from.
How difficult will my kitchen island be to assemble?
A. If you’re a handyman with a good set of tools, this will be easy for you. If not, ask someone who needs help so you can see how to do it.
What is the best Wayfair kitchen island to buy?
Top Wayfair Kitchen Island
Littrell 48 inch Solid Wood Kitchen Island with Granite Top
What do you want to know: This kitchen island has two drawers and three adjustable interior shelves behind four large cabinet doors.
What you will love: The counter is solid granite, the base is solid maple and the metal hardware is brushed steel. It has a towel rack and a spice rack.
What you should consider: At 200 pounds, some will find it takes a bit of effort to move around.
Or buy: Sold by Wayfair
Wayfair kitchen island top for the money
Avery 24 Inch Stainless Steel Kitchen Cart
What do you want to know: This 24 inch by 20 inch kitchen island is 36 inches tall and features a solid manufactured wood top.
What you will love: Two of the four casters are lockable. This 32-pound kitchen island has an open lower shelf and a wire basket that can be adjusted to any height.
What you should consider: This is a small, easily movable cart for people who don’t have a lot of extra space.
Or buy: Sold by Wayfair
Worth checking out
Hodder 50 inch Antique Pewter Kitchen Island
What do you want to know: This Wayfair’s Choice kitchen island measures 50 inches wide, 36 inches high, and 28 inches deep.
What you will love: This sturdy 54-pound kitchen island can safely hold 150 pounds. It has two full-length open shelves and two solid metal shelves.
What you should consider: You may want to add a sealer to the prep table before using it.
Or buy: Sold by Wayfair
register here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
David Allan Van written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.
Suggest a fix